You start this quest by finding Triss upstairs at The Chameleon. She will be angry at Geralt for putting Ciri in danger, and you will have a timed dialogue with 3 responses to choose from. Note: If you chose to romance her then Geralt will automatically kiss her after the explanation.
After explaining everything you will be able to ask about the Lodge of Sorceresses. Philippa was tricked by an ex-lover Arthur de Vleester, who told her to turn into an owl to be safe. After she transformed, he put a dimeritium ring on her leg so she couldn't change back. Arthur was killed during the mage hunt and his property was sold. She ended up as Zoltan Chivay's pet only for him to lose her in a card game. With no clue on who won her, Triss will attempt to use one of her feathers to track her down using hydromancy and will need a fountain. You will have the option to go with her or meet at the location.
Note: If you chose to romance Triss there will be another image and Geralt will ask her about it. She will reveal that she was offered the position of adviser the king of Kovir, Tankred Thyssen. The image was of her new home in Kovir, specifically in Pont Vanis. Triss then says that she hopes Geralt will move in along with her. Regardless of which dialog you choose he will agree. However he will decide to remain on The Path to which she will agree.
From one ex-lover to another
On approach to the bath house you will hear an explosion. Philippa has already been released and used her magic to take control of Dijkstra's men, so you will be forced to fight them. Geralt will incapacitate them instead of killing them whether or not you use a sword. He will then face Bart, who is also under her control. You can fight him or convince him to let you pass, however he will not drop loot even if he is fought. Once you reach Philippa she will summon a Fire elemental and you will have to kill it while also avoiding her attacks. Once it's dead sneak up behind her and Geralt will calm her down after pinning her down. While returning to Triss, Dijkstra will block your path. You will have to force your way out or, depending on your previous choices, try diplomacy by telling him Emhyrs plans (if this is what you want, first you need to choose "I need her" and later "free us and I'll tell what the Nilfgaard emperor wants").
Note: If you choose Diplomacy it will start the quest Reason of State which will influence the ending.
You will then rejoin Triss who will teleport herself and Philippa away, ending the quest.
- Triss returned to Novigrad after leaving Kaer Morhen with one goal - to find Philippa Eilhart. Soon after she made a shocking discovery - Philippa had been right under our very noses the whole time! Turned into an owl by some malicious spell, she then wound up in the hands of Zoltan, who, ignorant of his new pet's true identity, strived to make of her a replacement for his former foul-mouthed parrot companion, Field Marshal Duda.
- Triss was not the only one to uncover Philippa's whereabouts, however. Coming to that conclusion slightly before her was Dijkstra, who shared with Philippa with [sic] the strongest bond possible - love turned to seething hate. The one-time spy and current mafia boss had captured Philippa and imprisoned her in his bathhouse. Triss and Geralt knew they must hurry - it was clear Dijkstra had not gone through all this trouble to chat with Philippa about old times. Vengeance was more likely on his agenda, vengeance for breaking his heart and daring to plot against him.
- It is frightening to think how this story might have ended had Triss and Geralt not arrived at the bathhouse in the nick of time. A dimeritium collar had kept Philippa trapped in owl form, but somehow she had managed to free herself from it, revert to her true self, overcome her guards and start tearing the bathhouse apart. Dodging her furious blasts, Geralt was finally able to corner her and convince her he and Triss did not want to harm her - in fact, they needed her help. Though Dijkstra was vehemently opposed to letting the sorceress go, he ultimately realized resistance was futile in the face of Geralt's ironclad logic. And so Philippa Eilhart regained her freedom and joined the offensive against Eredin and his Red Riders.
- Go to the fountain near the Passiflora.
- Go to the bathhouse with Triss.
- Look for Philippa in the bathhouse.
- Catch Philippa Eilhart.
- Sneak up on Philippa without making too much noise.
- The player must not harm Dijkstra in this quest if they have completed A Deadly Plot and want to do Reason of State.
- While rushing to the bathhouse the player can stop and initate conversation with Triss. This will be a normal conversation in which options for various quests like the The Soldier Statuette will appear. However, instigating the statuette quests while in the midst of Blindingly Obvious may result in a glitch in which Triss, afterwards, returns to her earlier hideout in The Bits and stays there. Going to the bathhouse without her will cause the normal cutscene to play and Triss will be there afterward. For that reason, while other dialogue options such as returning her earring are harmless, it's advised to wait until Triss returns to Rosemary and Thyme after rescuing Philippa before activating the Statuette quests.