Carlo Varese, better known as Cleaver, was one of the four main crime bosses of Novigrad in 1272, alongside Francis Bedlam, Whoreson Junior, and Sigi Reuven. He ran a gang primarily made up of other dwarves.
- A joke circulating through the back alleys and seedy taverns of Novigrad claimed the dwarf Carlo Varese, one of the four leading lights of the local criminal strata, was, in his own way, a fierce proponent of racial coexistence. He applied this principle in a rather selective fashion, however.
- Cleaver firmly felt that he personally had every right, as an assimilated inhabitant of the city of Novigrad, to run his own business. Anyone who had a problem with the way he ran it or the nature of its dealings, be he dwarf, human or halfling, revealed himself as a vile racist. The only fitting thing to do with such scum? Feed them to a herd of ferociously hungry hogs – right after slicing off the interloper's fingers with his namesake cleaver. Such tales, of course, could very well have been mere rumor and slander – but very few had the courage test their veracity.
- Cleaver was famed for his hot-temper. What boiled his blood hottest of all, however, was when somebody thought they could pull one over on him.
- No wonder, then, that the attack by Whoreson's thugs got him somewhat riled up. The violent tirade he directed at Wiley clearly contained not idle threats but promises he meant to keep, even if doing so meant demolishing half the neighborhood.
- If Geralt helps Triss evacuate the mages during the quest Now or Never, the witch hunters turn their attention to the non-humans. Later, when Geralt and Ciri return to Novigrad during the quest Final Preparations, an epilogue slide shows Cleaver is taken by the witch hunters and burned at the stake.
- See the GWENT standalone game version card: Cleaver
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.