|This is Cintra. Is that right?
Yes. South of Transriver and Sodden. This way, here, flows the River Yaruga, flowing into the sea right at Cintra.
|- pg. 269 Blood of Elves (UK edition)|
Cintra was a very powerful kingdom in the times of Queen Calanthe, but was conquered by Nilfgaard during the First Nilfgaard War. After the Second Nilfgaard War, the kingdom was nominally an independent state, but was actually ruled by Emperor Emhyr var Emreis of Nilfgaard because of his marriage to Empress Cirilla, also known as False Ciri.
Cintra's neighbors are Sodden, Brugge, and the Nilfgaard province of Nazair. When Emhyr var Emreis proclaimed False Ciri queen, he also named her princess of Brugge, duchess of Sodden, heir of Skellige, and sovereign of Attre and Abb Yarra.
In 1263, after the continued expansion of the Nilfgaardian Empire to the Amell Mountains, Emperor Emhyr var Emreis began a full scale invasion of the North, beginning with the kingdom of Cintra. The Nilfgaardian Army crossed the Marnadal Stairs and crushed the Cintran Army at the mouth of the mountain pass, which became later known as the Battle of Marnadal. They continued north and slaughtered the kingdom's fortified capital, killing nearly the entire royal family, with Queen Calanthe committing suicide rather than be captured. Many of the capital's residence were left homeless and fled to nearby Verden, Temeria, Brugge, and Skellige.
The images below depicts historical and alternative coats of arms and flags; for the most recent versions established by King Coram II, see the infobox. All the images have been created by SMiki55 according to descriptions in novels and dynastic notes, except the vectorised version from Wiedźmin: Gra Wyobraźni by Ruttou and the drawing by Stanislav Komárek.
Coats of Arms
Territories, Vassal States, and Provinces
- Despite the kingdom's tradition of married-in men automatically inheriting the throne if the previous king is dead despite a living queen, Cintra, like the rest of the southern kingdoms, raises boys and girls like the elves do: they're all taught how to fight, ride a horse, and go hunting from the time they're children, regardless of gender.
- While Cintra is a monarchy and women can inherit the throne, any man the queen marries would be considered the main ruler of the country and not the queen. This also means that if there isn't currently a king, if a princess marries her husband would automatically become king of Cintra without having to wait for the previous generation to die.
- before Nilfgaard invaded and after Emhyr's marriage to False Ciri
- all the books and games
- Blood of Elves
- used in some parts of the games
- Gwent: The Witcher Card Game
- The World of the Witcher