Bestiary entry Edit
- How about this... we take a big stake, sharpen its tip, jam it in the cyclops' eye – then sneak out of the cave disguised as sheep. How's that not a good idea?
– Odess Thaka, traveler. Died tragically on Spikeroog
- Cyclopses can easily be recognized by the single eye located in the center of their foreheads. If for some reason that is not visible, other tell-tale signs are their enormous size, incredible strength and a seething hatred for all humans.
Cyclopses go where they want; even a witcher should move to the side if a cyclops is charging forward. The strongest witchers cannot parry or block any punch or slap delivered by a cyclops, and a mere hop backwards may not be enough to stay out of reach. Roll to the side or behind a cyclops to evade their attacks and reach their vulnerable flanks.
Do not stand in one place when fighting a cyclops. They rarely flinch from anything a witcher can do to them, so they keep trying to fight no matter how many cuts from a silver blade they take. If a cyclops raises both hands in the air, avoid being anywhere close to the front of it. The resulting ground-pound flattens even the toughest warriors.
If you're at a longer range Cyclopses can also leap into the air, knocking over anyone or anything too close to where they land. Alternatively they may do a "wild rush" charging at you swinging their arms madly while roaring; this in particular is almost impossible to avoid as the Cyclops will change its direction mid-charge to try to intercept you if you try rolling out of the way. Axii can temporarily confuse a cyclops, giving the witcher time to recuperate while the creature rages at something else. Getting close to a cyclops is dangerous, but still a necessity for slaying one. The Yrden Sign can help witchers do more work every time they get within sword range of these monsters. Overall, Quen is probably your best choice for handling them.
Associated quests Edit
- Hard Times
- Practicum in Advanced Alchemy
- Scavenger Hunt: Bear School Gear Upgrade Diagrams - Part 4
- Scavenger Hunt: Griffin School Gear Upgrade Diagrams - Part 4
- The bestiary entry is a direct reference to Homer's Odyssey.