Dogs are the carnivorous decedents of wolves and were domesticated by humans after the First Landing. While generally docile, they may become wild, cursed, unnaturally ravenous, or all of the above. In these instances, they are treated as predators.
- 'Whoever claims that dog is man's best friend, has probably never tamed a wyvern.'
For the most part, dogs are domesticated pets, if they are treated well by their masters, they respond with loyalty and trust. However, dogs that are ill-treated will respond in kind.
- They say a dog's a man's best friend... But in these foul times one best be wary, even of his friends.
– Alfred Pankratz, beggar from Novigrad
- Some claim dogs are reflections of their masters. A well-treated pet repays his owner with loyalty and trust, whereas an ill-treated one repays this treatment in kind as well, meeting yells with barks and kicks with bites. Since there is an abundance of bad men, so, too, is there an abundance of bad dogs. Most dangerous of all are the vagrant mutts who have lost all respect for men and developed a taste for blood and carrion.
- Dogs usually attack in packs, choosing isolated victims, especially ones in whom they sense some kind of weakness. Packs of rabid dogs usually only dare attack children, drunkards, the elderly and cripples. Yet when backed into a corner, they will defend themselves with frothing bites and sharp claws against all and sundry.
A dogs one known weakness is simply by coating your sword with Beast Oil, however the sign Aard is also good for pushing back a dog, or pack of dogs. Because a dog is lightweight, this works really well. They are also fairly susceptible to Igni, frequently catching fire due to their fur. One on one a single dog is not much of a threat at all; it's a pack of them surrounding you that is the problem.
You have to drop each one quickly while simultaneously dodging out of range of his friends coming at you from the sides and behind. Dogs are also particularly fast on their feet, while they aren't all that strong, their speed and numbers can more than make up for it if a Witcher is careless.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Although game assets suggest this is the case, it has not been seen. Having the journal entry would be a minimum requirement.