Just east of Honeyfill Meadworks is a small hut where an old woman, Yanina, lives. Talk with her to discover that her chickens have been going missing, in particular one at a time. Despite this oddity, she's convinced it's a monster as she found wolf tracks nearby, though even odder is that it appears to be walking on its hind legs.
If you agree to help her, examine the tracks near the stone wall to see it is a wolf paw print, then follow it, noting how smaller human footprints appear next to it before changing yet again. As you cross the stream, you'll soon discover 3 young orphans camping out, automatically netting 10 . Talk with them to learn they've been stealing the chickens to survive and been tying wolf paws they had from their father to their feet to create the tracks.
Head back to let Yanina know what's going on. Eventually you have two choices: tell her the children will keep coming back or convince her to take them in. Regardless of choice, the quest will end here with 25 .
If you convinced her to take in the children, you can return later to find the children are now living with her, keeping her company and helping out with chores.
Journal entry Edit
- An old woman in Velen asked Geralt for an unusual favor. Some time ago her hens had gone missing from her hen house. Based on the tracks she had found, the woman suspected some two-legged creature with wolf-like paws was responsible. Geralt decided to investigate this mysterious being.
- Geralt discovered the chicken thief was not a monster but a group of war orphans. Their parents caught and killed by passing soldiers, the children had been forced to fend for themselves - and Geralt was forced to choose what to do with them.
- Find out more about the contract.
- Find out what's stealing the old woman's chickens using your Witcher Senses.
- Convince the old woman to take in the children.