You can start this quest from a note on a corpse, which can be found northeast of the Casteldaccia Abandoned Estate signpost. You will encounter a ghost there called Maximus Nonius Macrinus. The corpse will contain a note Notes by a vandaguilder from Filibert's hanse, read it then enter the house and climb the ladder. You will find a candle holder which you can activate, this will open a secret compartment inside of which you will find a chest, loot and and the quest ends.
- While exploring the abandoned Casteldaccia Estate, Geralt found it haunted by the specter of a knight. After a long and hard fight, he defeated the apparition. He searched the area where they had fought and spotted a note...
- He learned of Maximus Macrinus, a knight cruelly murdered along with his family by marauders from Filibert Fourfingers' hanse. The note also hinted at the existence of a hidden treasure...
- Geralt found the stashed treasure chest and thus shored up what seemed like an ever-present shortfall in his pouch.
- Read the notes.
- Find the stash in Macrinus' house using your Witcher Senses.
- Maximus Nonius Macrinus is a clear reference to the Gladiator movie, his lines are the same as that of the main character "Maximus Decimus Meridius."
- The quest title is likely a reference to the Games of Thrones line "A Lannister always pays his debts."