|This article is about the character in The Witcher. For the character in The Lady of the Lake, see Forest Gramps.|
Gramps is an old cannibal who lives in the island hut in the northeast part of the swamp. Geralt first meets him near the landing. When he asks if Gramps has any witcher's work, he is offered the opportunity to escort the old man to Melitele's Shrine. Geralt points out that he was hoping for paid work, but takes the job anyway. (There is the option to tell Gramps to "piss off".)
He is especially partial to elf meat, but finds dwarf meat (at least he thinks it was a dwarf he fought a drowner for) too stringy. He also has some standards: he never eats children. I guess that is some comfort.
During Flowers and Gold, if Geralt asks him about beggartick, Gramps will give him the formula for Perfume. He also keeps a copy of Ain Soph Aur in an old bookcase at his house. If Geralt chooses to spare him, he will provide the formula for Hanged Man's Venom.
- A copy of Ain Soph Aur can be found in his house.
- He knows the formulae to Hanged Man's Venom, Maribor Forest, Perfume, Wives' Tears and King and Queen, some of which are easily missable.
- If you kill him, depending on the timing, the lumberjacks may turn on you. On his body you will find Wives' Tears, amber, and 30 .
- If you enter the swamp cave during A Pilgrimage, there is a chance he will bug out and stop following you for the rest of the quest. He can be found again near the ferryman, but he will not follow you anymore, even after speaking to him, reloading the game, and triggering cutscenes with him. You can still complete the quest by shoving him to the Shrine. He will, however, still flee from monsters.
- Gramps may be a reference to The Picture in the House, a short story by H.P. Lovecraft. In Lovecraft's story, there is also a cannibalistic old man living in an remote, dilapidated hut.
- Gramps is based on a character that Ciri encounters while trying to make her way back to her own time and place to find Geralt and Yennefer in The Lady of the Lake.