It is the biggest known exporter of iron and steel to the Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard, and many mines, foundries, forges, and ironworks are located there. Mahakam iron is famous for its quality and is considered to be the best in the world. Aside from its iron, Mahakam is famous for its weapons, forged using advanced gnomish technology.
Although the kings of Temeria are titular lords of Mahakam, in practice its dwarves and gnomes keep the region largely autonomous as any foreign intervention would cause them to stop the supply shipments and flood the mines. The real power lies in the hands of local clans governed by a chosen elder who rules absolutely for life. During the reign of King Foltest, the position was held by Brouver Hoog.
Apart from the rich mines and breathtaking strongholds, the enclave is famous for its Ale Festival, which takes place every twenty-five years and attracts thousands of participants from every part of the world.
National Emblems Edit
The current coat of arms and flag are based on the original Czech drawing (first one above). The second one is based on the drawing while the current is based more on the dwarven shields.
Notable people Edit
- Mount Carbon
- Craag Ros
- Klamat pass
- Mahakam Pass
- Davor's Abyss
- Boro's Rump
- Black Brook Vale
- Twin Peaks
- Mahakam is possibly a reference to Myrkheim, which is another name for Niðavellir, the home of the dwarves in norse mythology.
- There is a Mahakam River in Kalimantan, Indonesia.
- In The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, when Geralt first bumps into Iorveth, he mentions that Vernon Roche was responsible for the pacification of the foothills. At the end of the game, we can see what Zoltan mentioned in the novels: the Nilfgaardian Army passing by without any attack.
- In The Witcher, Mahakam is not visited but it is referred to then and again in discussions, books, and journal entries.
- In Thronebreaker, Queen Mave visited Mahakm to recruit forces.
- ↑ There's a possibility that the demonym in the books is spelled the same as the location "Mahakam", based on the sentence structure like "Mahakam potato soup" and "Mahakam sihill sword".