A fresh mandrake is considered so toxic that the earth surrounding one is poisoned by the plant and that even breathing in the fumes or sprinkling the fresh juice onto a cut hand can have fatal consequences. At the very least, even if one doesn't die from it, the toxin secreted by the root causes powerful hallucinogenic effects. As such, care is taken to use a mask and gloves to pick them.
Notable among mandrake's many alchemical uses is its use in the potion that maintains the longevity of sorcerers, preventing further ageing (but not restoring lost youth).
Folklore[edit | edit source]
Despite all the rumors regarding mandrake, many of them aren't true. Some common myths include them being powerful aphrodisiacs, screaming when plucked, and being able to curse the one who pulls them out of the ground. The latter two in particular is believed to be a side effect from breathing in the hallucinogenic toxins as, like any other plant, the mandrake lacks vocal cords.
Encyclopaedia Maxima Mundi entry[edit | edit source]
Effenberg and Talbot, Encyclopaedia Maxima Mundi,
Source[edit | edit source]
- After completing the Daily Bread quest, Geralt can give any meat food to the elves in and around the cave. Any elf inside the cave at night will unlock han and mandrake root in return.
- Ritual Plants
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Abigail gives Geralt two of these with the cash reward upon completion of The Barghest Contract in Chapter I, but it does not unlock the ingredient entry.
- Several are required for Hunting the Wild Hunt in Chapter IV. They can be found in the kurgans outside the hermit's hut.
Players can now pay "real world" money to buy mandrake (), which can be used within the game to buy alchemical items like potions, etc. Players who participate in special Versus events can also win mandrake.
- Anezka in Lobinden
- Vilmos Bartok in Flotsam
- Mottle outside Vergen
- Sambor in the camp followers' encampment
- Myron in the Kaedweni camp
- Relic peddler in the Kaedweni camp
- Felicia Cori in Vergen or Loc Muinne
- The Incredible Lockhart in Loc Muinne
- Marcus in Loc Muinne
Mandrake root is an alchemy ingredient that is needed to craft the following items:
It can be purchased from the following merchants:
References[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- See the GWENT standalone game version card: Mandrake