Go talk to Marcus T.K. Hodgson inside his bookstore just off Hierarch Square and he'll immediately tell you a red book was left with him years ago to one day be given to the witcher Geralt, but he can't remember where he placed it, so you'll have to look around for it.
There aren't that many books here, and many of them are unique for this quest so feel free to pick them all up to read. However, the one you want is upstairs, just before the third floor stairs, titled My Manifesto - The Life of Jacques de Aldersberg. On picking it up, a letter inside of the book will also automatically be added to the inventory. Once you read this letter the quest will complete, earning 50 and 51 .
Journal entry Edit
- Geralt stopped by a certain Novigrad book merchant whose owner recognized him at once. He said someone had left a book with him a long time ago with instructions to give it to Geralt if he ever got the chance. This naturally piqued the witcher's curiosity. Sadly, the book dealer did not know the book's exact present location, only that it had a red cover and that Geralt should look for it in his stacks of dusty tomes and manuscripts.
- Geralt found the book and, inside it, a letter from someone he had once known. Though he gave no outward sign of it, this filled him with touching recollections of old times. To this day I don't know who the old friend was nor what he had written in the letter - and that's a shame, for judging by Geralt's behavior, therein lies a very interesting tale...
- Find a book with a red cover using your Witcher Senses.
- Read the letter you found inside the book "My Manifesto."
- This letter is a reference to Jacques de Aldersberg, the main antagonist of the first game who was speculated to be the grown up Alvin. This letter finally confirmed the theory.
- Oddly, the book itself isn't red as described by the merchant.