The Stranger proposes getting the garrison's cook to add a little something extra to the guards' stew that night to incapacitate a fair number of them. Before anything else, you must craft a cleansing mixture which requires one Dwarven Spirit, two Rotfiend blood, and two Wolfsbane.
Once done, make your way to the Borsodi Brothers' Auction House and use your Witcher Senses to listen to the conversation of the guards out front in an attempt to find out where the cook is. When they don't say anything of interest, head around to the back of the building and listen to the guards through the window. When, once again, this fails to turn up anything, hop the fence onto the road behind the auction house and use your Senses to locate another pair of guards. Follow them (without getting too close) to learn the location of the Cook.
Make your way to the dock near the Western Gate to find the cook, Maarten, by day (at night he'll not be here). Speak to him, and either offer to pay him 500 crowns(50 ) to spike his stew or simply use Axii (40 ) to get him to do it for free. (150)
- Oxenfurt, once a city of students, had been transformed by war into a city of soldiers. Redanian troops were everywhere – in every inn, shop, and brothel, but, most visibly and annoyingly of all, on every street. Geralt had to find a way to reduce the number of patrols if the robbery was to stand a chance of success. He dug into his bag of witcher tricks and found just the thing – an alchemical mixture which, added to the soldiers' rations, would soon have half the Oxenfurt garrison out on sick leave...
- The garrison cook turned out to be amenable to cooperation. He agreed to add the witcher's special sauce to his pot, making Geralt's task much easier.
- Prepare a cleansing mixture that will weaken the Redanian soldiers.
- Use your Witcher Senses to eavesdrop on Redanian soldiers patrolling Oxenfurt to find out where to find their cook.
- Visit the garrison cook during the day and convince him to help you.