Oxenfurt is a Redanian city located on the northern shore of the Pontar river and southeast of Novigrad. It is famous for its Academy, which is the largest in the Northern Kingdoms. It is about three hundred miles west of Tretogor.
It is a bustling and bawdy haven for students, artists, scholars, and freethinkers. Here the young reign supreme (in spirit, if not always in fact), with a mug of something strong in hand as they blaze new trails in fashion and thought, confident that the rest of the world will soon follow.
Notable people Edit
The poet rode slowly along a muddy, crowded street, passing workshops, studios, stalls, shops small and large where, thanks to the Academy, tens of thousands of articles and wonderful things were produced and sold which were unattainable in other corners of the world where their production was considered impossible, or pointless. He passed inns, taverns, stands, huts, counters and portable grills from which floated the appetising aromas of elaborate dishes unknown elsewhere in the world, seasoned in ways not known anywhere else. This was Oxenfurt, the colorful, joyful, noisy and sweet-smelling town of miracles into which shrewd people, full of initiative, had turned dry and useless theories drawn little by little from the university.
In the third installment of the trilogy, Oxenfurt appears as the second largest city in the game. The city is situated east of the region Velen. It's also featured as a main showplace in Hearts of Stone expansion, the first expansion for The Witcher 3. There is also an interesting book describing the city, Pearls of the North – Oxenfurt.
However, there are some inconsistencies with the appearance of the city described in the book. The University has quite a different appearance, lacking the mentioned aqueduct and sewage treatment plants. Even the currency of the city does not appear nor is it ever mentioned.
- Novigrad Gate
- Oxenfurt Harbor
- Western Gate
- The Alchemy
- Deireadh prison
- Whoreson Junior's mansion
- The Borsodis' Auction House
- Oxenfurt sewers
Associated quests Edit
- Contract: The Oxenfurt Drunk
- Contract: The Creature from Oxenfurt Forest
- Evil's First Soft Touches
- Family Matters
- Get Junior
- Gwent: Playing Innkeeps
- Open Sesame!
- Rough Neighborhood
- Scavenger Hunt: Cat School Gear
- The Taxman Cometh
- The Volunteer
- The Oxenfurt city banner is a clear homage to the Cambridge University coat of arms.
- Oxenfurt is similar to the city of Oxford in the United Kingdom. Both have a world-famous university and their names are similar. It even looks like Oxenfurt is somehow Germanized form of Oxford (Ox-Ochse, Ford-Furt). One of the Old English names for Oxford was 'Oxenaforda'.
- Ochsenfurt is the name of a small town near Würzburg in Southern Germany.
- Like several other cities, Oxenfurt was originally an elven settlement before humans arrived.