Poker Face: Vergen is a quest in Chapter 2 of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.
Geralt must first defeat Cornelius Meyer and Bruno Biggs, two dwarves who are holed up in the smithy behind Haggard and the blacksmith. After which he can play the Innkeeper at The Cauldron. Then he can challenge Cecil Burdon. Finally, he can play Haggard, the blacksmith's apprentice.
Winning against the Innkeeper and Cecil gives you a fair deal of money but the game with the blacksmith's apprentice gives you another option besides orens. Either take the diagram for Red, Blue or Yellow meteorite.
Journal entry Edit
- Geralt grew fond of playing dice poker and he started looking for other players just after arriving in Vergen. It turned out that there were many enthusiasts of the pastime there. Geralt met players at the inn, among them the innkeeper himself. He also heard that the elder, Cecil Burdon, and the local blacksmith's apprentice would never refuse a quick game. However the best players would not play just anyone. The witcher had to make a name by winning with the dwarves meeting at the smithy first.
- First come, first served. The witcher had to win one more game, and then he would be able to take part in league games.
- When two poker players had been completely outplayed, the gambling elite took note of Geralt. The witcher could face the innkeeper.
- The innkeeper hexed his dice, but his spells were for naught. Geralt went to challenge Cecil Burdon.
- The elder had more luck in politics than at dice. He lost shamefully, so Geralt had but one opponent remaining – the blacksmith's apprentice.
- Yet the blacksmith's apprentice lost too. I heard he cried his heart out, for it meant a substantial financial loss. However gamblers, just like honest historians, leave no room for sentiment. Thus glory to the witcher and shame on the defeated.
Possible bug: If you try to play Haggard at night while he is at his house he will not play you and instead act like he defeated you. To fix simply meditate until it's daytime and play him outside.