Note: this quest will fail if not completed before starting The Isle of Mists.
Go to Est Tayiar to meet the witch hunters. They will not be happy to see Geralt as they believe he will claim all the glory for himself after so many of them died trying to get in, but they will give him the plate anyway. Head on down to find a forcefield and use your witcher senses to examine the wall to the right and place the plate there.
Continue forward to find 2 portals, the one to the left is open while the other is not so use the left one. Inside you will find some Nekkers and an inactive portal, notice the crystal nearby, if you examine it Geralt will mention that one of his signs may charge it, use Aard to do just that. Now that the portal is working continue through it.
Courage above all Edit
Once through you will meet a survivor, who will have another crystal, but refuse to give it up because he is too afraid of the monsters:
- You can use Axii (requires Delusion level 2 grants 35 )
- Knock some sense into him, in which case you need to fisfight him
Regardless once you have the crystal continue forward, if you look inside the chests you can find a Letter to Philippa, now place the crystal on the marked location and use Aard on it to open the next portal. After getting through more Geralt will be greeted by more Nekkers, kill them and go right to find another inactive portal. Geralt will remark that the Nekkers may have the next crystal, so go back and take the path leading down. You will find a few more Nekkers and the crystal there, take it back to the portal and activate it like the previous.
The Lair Edit
Now you will be at the lowest level and encounter a Fire Elemental, so use your Elementa oil and whatnot to get rid of it. Now enter through the gate at the far end to find Philippa's room, to the left you can find some Agate. Search the rest of the room to find a broken Megascope and a Polished crystal. Take it then go back to the last portal, however, there is no need to go back all the way, just go to there right and there will be another portal that is inactive. Use Aard on the nearby crystal to activate it and it will take you back to the beginning through the inactive portal that was to the right at the start.
The choice Edit
Once you are back out the witch hunters will demand you give them the crystal. Agree and you get no reward, refuse and you will have to fight them. If you chose the latter you can bring it back to Radovid, or if Triss and/or Yennefer are available you can bring it to them. If you go to either of them it will reveal the contents of the crystal after which you can take it back and hand it over to Radovid anyway. If you don't give him the crystal you get no reward if you do you get 135, regardless the quest ends.
Journal Entry Edit
- They say chess is the game of kings, and Radovid proved this point twice over during his meeting with Geralt. First, by playing the royal game at the Oxenfurt Chess Club while they met, and then by treating Geralt like a pawn he could send out to do his bidding. His requested move? Witcher takes sorceress: his spies had reported finding signs of Philippa Eilhart's presence in the elven ruins outside of Novigrad. Geralt was to go there and retrieve her. Normally Geralt resisted attempts to command him around the board, but he owed Radovid a favor - and had his own reasons for wanting to find Philippa...
- Geralt found and searched Philippa's hideout. Though there were signs of her presence everywhere, the sorceress herself was long gone.
- She had, however, left one thing behind that could prove of great value - a damaged crystal from her megascope. The witcher knew such a gem could, if properly probed, reveal priceless information about her doings. He thus was faced with a choice - should he give the crystal to Radovid, or take it to one of his sorceress allies?
- If Geralt takes the crystal to Triss:
- Geralt took the crystal to Triss. A bit of magic and she got it to play back a fragment from the last conversation Philippa had with Margarita Laux-Antille. From it they learned the sorceress, whom Radovid had blinded, was trying to restore her vision, and that both were planning to bring the Lodge of Sorceresses back to life.
- The witcher decided it would be best if such information never made it to Radovid's ears. He thus decided to leave the crystal with Triss.
- If Geralt takes the crystal to Yennefer:
- Geralt took the crystal to Yennefer. A bit of magic and she got it to play back a fragment from the last conversation Philippa had with Margarita Laux-Antille. From it they learned the sorceress, whom Radovid had blinded, was trying to restore her vision, and that both were planning to bring the Lodge of Sorceresses back to life.
- The witcher decided it would be best if such information never made it to Radovid's ears. He thus decided to leave the crystal with Yennefer.
- If Geralt reports to Radovid promising only his word:
- Out of a sense of duty, or perhaps a desire to receive at least part of the promised reward, Geralt returned to Radovid to tell him what he had found in Philippa's hideout. The king was clearly not pleased with the outcome of the investigation and dismissed the witcher. As for compensation for his trouble, sadly, the witcher had to go without...
- Additionally, if Geralt gave the crystal to the witch hunters before:
- Geralt encountered Radovid's men at the entrance to Philippa's hideout. They demanded the witcher give them the magic crystal, with assurances they would deliver it to the king personally. Geralt reluctantly accepted their offer.
- If Geralt reports to Radovid with the megascope crystal:
- As agreed, Geralt returned to Radovid and gave him the crystal from Philippa's megascope. Though the king was hoping to be handed a sorceress, not a cold, damaged lump of minerals, in the end he appreciated Geralt's effort and paid him his reward.
- Talk to the witch hunters in front of Philippa's hideout in Est Tayiar
- Open Philippa's hideout (50)
- Search Philippa's hideout
- Search Philippa's quarters using your Witcher Senses
- Find the missing crystal
- Place the crystal in the right spot
- Use Aard to activate the crystal
- The next two options are mutually exclusive:
- Give the crystal to the witch hunters (no reward from Radovid)
- Kill the witch hunters
- The next three options are mutually exclusive and only available if Geralt killed the witch hunters:
- Talk to Radovid first and give him the crystal
- Talk to Triss about the crystal from Philippa's megascope
- Talk to Yennefer about the crystal from Philippa's megascope
- Tell Radovid what you learned about Philippa (50)
- When you descend from the outside through the hole in the ground, before entering the hideout previously barred by a force field, use Aard on the cracked wall behind you. It will lead to a secret stash where you will find the Feline silver sword diagram for the Scavenger Hunt: Cat School Gear.
- If you get the quest before finishing Yennefer's questline (main story) on Skellige, this quest will not show an option to give her the crystal. If you don't give it to Triss, it will appear that the only option is to give it to Radovid. But if you hold on to the crystal until you finish the main story on Skellige, you will get the option to give it to Yennefer.
- Upon getting outside of the cave after picking the crystal, if you accept to give it away to the witch hunters (which arguably smells from the beginning), they will lie to Radovid and play the witcher for a fool. Geralt will then have nothing to justify himself when returning to the king, who will conclude that it's his words against the witch hunters' and that Geralt is not as reliable as he thought.
- At the lowest level of the cave, a chest there can contain Addan Deith.
- You do not have to give the Crystal to any of them to have completed all objectives. You can show it to Triss and Yen, however if you show it to Triss first and then to Yen by completing "The Last Wish" just before she leaves Novigrad and then go to Triss to complete "Now or Never" the objective for Triss may bug out and be marked as failed. It happens when you approach the door to her shitty old house where there are Radovids soldiers.
- Having Triss look at the crystal, but not giving it to her could cause a bug in A Matter of Life and Death where the Vegelbud servant won't spawn in the fish market in Novigrad. Should this happen, a fix would be to find Triss in her hideout, and give her the crystal (the option is there even if you already gave the crystal to Yennefer after The Last Wish.