|Time to show you the Empire's true power!|
|- Renuald to Geralt|
Renuald aep Matsen is a secondary character in The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. He appears if Geralt chooses to rescue Triss instead of Anais La Valette or Philippa. He is also seen together with Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen in the decompression of Triss cutscene (Iorveth's path). On Roche's path, he can be seen training his soldiers near Loc Muinne's market square, in Chapter III.
- Just as ambassador Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen was the Emperor's mouth here in the North, Renuald aep Matsen was his iron-clad fist. One look at this stern warrior's face was enough to instill a justified respect. He and his ilk became symbols of Nilfgaardian power when black standards and cloaks fluttered together with the tramp of the cavalry's hooves and the clash of arms in battle. The veterans from the Impera brigade were famed for their fanatical loyalty to the Emperor, and Matsen was no exception in that regard. He carried out his ruler's every order without question.
- If Geralt chooses to rescue Triss during Chapter III:
- Guided by loyalty to the same power, Renuald followed the orders he had received and sent Shilard to the beyond without blinking an eye.
- Yet the witcher made sure that Matsen embarked upon the same journey not long after the ambassador.
- It is stated in journal entry, that he was a member of Impera brigade. He also uses a shield with the Impera brigade salamander symbol in game, which seems to confirm this.
- He was the one holding Assire var Anahid when Shilard had murdered her.
- He was the one who brought Letho to the mage summit along with Shilard, if Geralt didn't kill him.
- It seems that Shilard didn't trust him, as he states in one of his letters addressed to the Emperor.
- In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, there is a gwent card that bears his name.