School of the Griffin was one of the known splinter fractions of the order created by Alzur and Cosimo Malaspina in the 10th century. Judging by their high social etiquette, the Griffins seemingly kept the original "knightly" values of the witcher order. They also had nothing against killing dragons.
One tale says that they earned their name exterminating nearly all the griffins of Koviri mountains which had been a real trouble for the early settlers. According to another, the gryphon banner was chosen by the School's founder, Erland of Larvik.
The school used to possess important magic books in its library including the Liber Tenebrarum beloved by Old Keldar. Throughout the ages, the other schools respected the Griffins for their study of magic and fighting style that emphasized multiple opponents. Unfortunately, a group of mages became angry because of the Griffin's unwillingness to share the knowledge and caused an avalanche in revenge killing several witchers and badly damaging Kaer Seren. Probably due to this witcher Coën was forced to spend winters in Kaer Morhen instead of his home keep.
Griffin School equipment is of medium weight and amplifies the intensity of the wearer's Signs; as such, it is heavily implied that the school and its disciples may have specialized in the use of magic. Griffin witchers may also possess higher standards of social etiquette compared to other schools, which was mentioned in the Dragonslayer's treasure hunt quest, though this might have referred to George specifically.
- Contrary to Szpony i kły and The Witcher Role-Playing Game, the Wiedźmin: Gra Wyobraźni locates the Gryphon keep in the Amell Mountains. This was probably changed because Amell is already a seat of School of the Bear in CD Projekt's The Witcher franchise.
- In The Hexer there is a school of witchers described as being "beyond the mountains", to which Adela attended. At the time, only the Cat, the Griffin, and the Wolf Schools existed in the franchise, and as she didn't attend the Cat nor the Wolf, it's possible she went to the Griffin School. This is however only a speculation as we don't know how many witcher schools existed in The Hexer lore.
- ↑ The Witcher
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 The Witcher Role-Playing Game
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Szpony i kły
- ↑ Blood and Wine expansion
- ↑ The Lady of the Lake
- ↑ Season of Storms
- ↑ Wiedźmin: Gra Wyobraźni