Scoiaʼtael are non-human guerillas also known as the Squirrels, due to the squirrel tails they wear on themselves.
Racism and deep-seated discrimination against non-humans inflamed a great hatred of humans amongst non-humans in the Northern Kingdoms. Most of the Squirrels were elves, however it isn't uncommon to find halflings and dwarves among them. Scoiaʼtael were divided into commandos (considered to be a gnomish term) comprised of several fighters.
Bigger, more highly promoted commandos were rare and strictly established during battles or for special tasks (e.g. during the Thanedd coup). The most well-known Scoiaʼtael special tasks group was the Vrihedd Brigade, commanded by Isengrim Faoiltiarna. They were identified by their silver lightning bolt symbol.
Scoiaʼtael were allied with Nilfgaard and used by Emperor Emhyr var Emreis for diversion, as well as support for the Nilfgaardian army. In exchange for their support, Emperor Emhyr var Emreis gave the elves Dol Blathanna as their own, independent state, and made Enid an Gleanna its queen. After the Peace of Cintra, they were condemned as outlaws even by their elven queen.
Although there are some cases where they fought as vanguard (like during the sack of Vengerberg or during the Battle of Brenna, Scoiaʼtael usually remain hidden in the woods, where they wait in the vegetation for a convoy or a cavalry squadron to ambush.
When it comes to buy equipment and weapons, since they're rejected by the society and by most of the merchants and weaponsmiths, Scoiaʼtael usually deal with Havekar, local smugglers who can provide them with supplies and arms at high prices.
Notable Scoiaʼtael Edit
- Angus Bri Cri
- Cairbre aep Diared
- Ciaran aep Dearbh
- Coinneach Dá Reo
- Isengrim Faoiltiarna
- Echel Traighlethan
- "The Scoiaʼtael are a group of elven and dwarven rebels fighting against the discrimination of nonhumans. They are divided into commando groups, or independent squads. Their protest against racism quickly turned violence. Scoiaʼtael rob merchant caravans, plunder and burn villages, and kill. Instead of finding a peaceful solution, humans send troops to fight them. Scoiaʼtael means 'squirrel' in elven and the name probably comes from the rebels' habit of attaching squirrel puffs to their clothing.
- According to the author of "The Aftermath of the War", the Scoiaʼtael are inspired by Nilfgaard and other powers. The leaders of the rebellion send their people to certain death because they are blind or manipulated. The author also claims that wars between humans and non-humans will never cease because there is too much hostility between the races. In his opinion, the elves are doomed to extinction."
- Zoltan Chivay is in the Outskirts in order to meet a Scoiaʼtael friend of his by the name of Hoog. It is possible that Haren Brogg sold him out to the guards, though.
- A Guard Officer in the Trade Quarter boasts about how lucrative it is to turn in Scoiaʼtael supporters: "Capture? One need only identify a non-human collaborator."
The book The Feudal Society and Its Enemies provides a journal entry on dwarves and squirrels.
Journal entry Edit
- Scoiaʼtael is a name used by the rebels fighting for nonhuman freedom. In the common tongue it means "squirrels". As some would have it, it is because of squirrel tails that adorn the rebels' caps, or from the forest board they had to survive on. Scoiaʼtael formed units over a score strong, consisting mainly of elves, yet sometimes dwarves and halflings joined too. During the last war against Nilfgaard, the Scoiaʼtael fought on the side of the Empire, making diversions and great damage beyond our lines. Despite the provisions of the Peace of Cintra, many did not disarm and continued to fight, especially when it turned out that Nilfgaard sacrificed them in the name of peace and gave the units' leaders to the Nordlings to be executed.
Notable Scoiaʼtael Edit
- "Scoiaʼtael" may be derived from Italian "scoiattolo", which means "squirrel".