The Silver Basilisk (or regulus platinum) is a rare subspecies of basilisk that has been hunted to near-extinction.
Silver Basilisks were once a dominating species, especially in the region of Toussaint where they were very common around the year 1100. Their extirpation in the duchy, and possibly near-extinction in the world as a whole, is chiefly due to hunting by humans for the monsters' silver-colored hides.
In the year 1275, the last regulus platinum specimen in Toussaint (known as the Great White Terror) attacked passing merchant caravans, primarily in the northern parts of the duchy. However, due to being the last specimen, he is vehemently protected by Count Borhis di Salvaress.
- You want a fine pair of boots, you say? Bring me the hide of a silver basilisk, and I'll make you boots the whole world will envy.
- - Anatole Vizholy, shoemaker from Beauclair
- Geralt always liked looking at things that don't exist. Be it a vampire with a human heart of the last basilisk of a species that no scholar has classified, discovering something thought not to be there to be discovered caused him great pleasure. That is why he took an interest in a contract which, at first glance, seemed banal, but proved to be very intriguing. It concerned the last basilisk of the nearly-extinct species Regulus Platinum.
- If Geralt kills the silver basilisk:
- Geralt decided to kill the basilisk, the witcher trade not being one that makes room for sentiment.
- He thus eliminated the last of a species which now could definitively classed as extinct.
- If Geralt does not kill the silver basilisk:
- In the end, Geralt decided not to kill the basilisk, for who in his right mind would raise his sword against a living legend?
- The silver basilisk is vulnerable to Draconid Oil and the signs Igni and Aard.
- The potion Golden Oriole may also prove useful.