Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
When you meet with Yennefer in Crippled Kate's, she will ask who's idea was it to go after Imlerith. If you lie and say it was yours, she will reveal that she already know it was Ciri's idea but will praise Geralt for covering Ciri's back. Regardless, she will approve what you did on Bald Mountain. After asking why she is at Crippled Kate's and about Margarita Laux-Antille, Yen will tell you that there is a man who escaped from Deireadh prison named Abbé Faria who is a regular there. The man will then enter and after trying to talk to him, he will try to escape. You can save yourself some time if you use Aard when you are close enough. If it takes too long Yen will teleport and catch him herself.
Bug: While it's impossible to fail this chase, you should not try to go exploring too far as the quest markers may stop updating and you will have to find Abbé without their help.
Regardless, once Geralt (or Yen) catches him you will return to Crippled Kate's and he will tell you everything you need to know. He will reveal that the guards like to drink while on duty and that it's possible to get in the same way he got out, through the sewers. Yen will propose using the Elven ruins that are connected to the sewers as a way into the prison.
Breaking in[edit | edit source]
Whether or not you ask for Zoltan's help, meet Yen in Oxenfurt. Once there she will inform Geralt there is an entrance to the ruins through an old well, then follow her there. Yen will give Geralt a Magic Trinket that will allow her to track his exact location, as she is not going into the sewers herself and will only join once he has freed Margarita Laux-Antille. After jumping down the well, you end up in elven ruins. There are multiple chests located in both flooded sections. You will eventually find a stone door that cannot be opened and a lever without a handle. In the other room you will find an open stone door, whose level can be taken and used to open the closed stone door.
Beyond the stone door there will be a breakable wall in front of you and the second flooded section to your right. Through the breakable wall there will be Necrophages. Follow the sewer down to find a hole in the wall that will get you into the prison. The hunter will not be aggressive while you are in the sewer section, but will attack once you enter the prison proper. After killing the hunters in the first room, you will find the sewer key needed to escape later. The next room is the cell-block containing more guards and Margarita, who will tell Geralt he needs the key from the Prison Warden. Find and head up the stairs into the main courtyard. After entering the courtyard, Geralt will be attacked by the rest of the prison guards. After you kill the warden and loot the key, you are free to loot the rest of the prison (The guards will ring an alarm bell and call for reinforcements, but none will actually spawn). Once you free Margarita, Yen will teleport in and teleport herself and Margarita out. Geralt has to get out on his own.
Note: If you spared Síle de Tansarville in The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings she will also be there. She will be badly injured and will ask Geralt and Yen to end her suffering. Your options are to leave her there or to perform a mercy killing.
Head back to the sewers and unlock the gate directly across from you, using the previously looted key. This will lead to the same section of sewer containing the feline trouser diagram found in the quest Scavenger Hunt: Cat School Gear - Part 2. The quest ends once you escape the prison.
Journal Entry[edit | edit source]
- In the mission to gather the members of the former Lodge of Sorceress, it fell to Yennefer to bring Margarita Laux-Antille to Novigrad. Yennefer's old friend had been captured by the witch hunters and was being kept in Deireadh, the best-guarded prison this side of the Yaruga.
- Geralt and Yennefer thus had a hard endeavor in front of them - they would have to break into the sealed compound and sneak Margarita out. Good thing Yen had something even better than a file in a carrot cake: contact information for the one man who had managed to escape Deireadh. Escaping seemed to be in his blood, for he attempted to make another getaway at the sight of Yennefer and Geralt, but eventually they caught him and sat down for a chat. He told them how to outfox the guards and enter the prison unnoticed. With no time to waste, Geralt and Yennefer raced off to Margarita's rescue.
- With their powers combined, Yennefer and Geralt freed Margarita from the most formidable prison in the North. Rita was in a very sorry state, but the knowledge that she was free and would not perish on a pyre fortified her strength. Yennefer showered her long-time friend with tender care, and everyone hoped for a swift recovery.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
- Catch the runaway. (200 )
- (Optional) Ask Zoltan for help.
- Meet Yennefer at the bridge into Oxenfurt.
- Enter the prison through the well.
- Search the ruins.
- Find the missing part of the mechanism using your Witcher Senses.
- Repair the mechanism and open the doors.
- Enter the sewers.
- Find the sorceress Margarita.
- Get the key.
- Search the commander's body and find the key to the cell door.
- Open the cell. (300 )
- Get out of the prison. (300 )
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you helped Triss Merigold earlier and completed Now or Never, Zoltan Chivay will be unable to help supply alcohol to Geralt in the quest due to the danger of the witch hunters diverting their attention from mages (who have now fled from Redanian rule) to non-humans.
- Once you have the key you can search the cells, one of which contains a letter.
- One of the rooms above the courtyard will contain several guards and a note, called List of Prisoners. The prisoners listed are friends or associates of the developers.
- Opening the cells will free the other prisoners. Once you free Margarita you will lose the key and cannot open any of the cell doors.
- Sile can be found in the prison cell along with Margarita (if Geralt decided to save her in Witcher 2). Refer to the Witcher 3 decision checklist for more information on this. Geralt can choose to either give Sile a dignified death or to abandon her. If Sile is not present then the character entry on her will be completed after the quest as if she had been present and Geralt has given her a dignified death.
- In the quest Get Junior, if you entered Juniors house through the hidden entrance in the sewers, you can use that passage to exit the prison.
- After Margarita is freed, you will find the liberated prisoners sitting in the sewers. (Only if you opened the cells before you freed Margarita)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Abbé Faria's name, as well as how he escaped the prison, are references to the novel The Count of Monte Cristo.
- When entering the sewers by jumping into the well you can find a skeleton between two doorways. Geralt will call them a tomb raider who seemed to like elven stuff. This is a possible reference to the Tomb Raider series.
- The quest name is a reference to a prison-escape film with the same title, The Great Escape.