The film is essentially the then-unreleased TV series chopped down to about 2 hours, and it received very poor reviews from both fans and critics.
- Michał Żebrowski - Geralt of Rivia
- Zbigniew Zamachowski - Dandelion (Jaskier)
- Marta Bitner - Ciri
- Grażyna Wolszczak - Yennefer of Vengerberg
- Maciej Kozłowski - Gwidon/Falwick
- Ewa Wiśniewska - Calanthe
- Anna Dymna - Nenneke
- Jerzy Nowak - Vesemir
- Wojciech Duryasz - Old Witcher
- Kinga Ilgner - Renfri
- Magdalena Warzecha - Visenna
Differences between the books and the movie / TV series
The makers of the TV series and movie made many changes to the plot of The Witcher series, the major ones being:
- In the books, Geralt was given to the witchers by his mother, Visenna and never knew his father. In the series, he was taken from his parents by the Witchers through the Law of Surprise.
- In the books, there was no actual witcher code, although Geralt made up a code of his own. In the series, the witchers have a code that allows them only to fight in an "honorable" way (even with monsters).
- In the books, Vesemir was a witcher. In the series, he is a priest. Some of the characteristics of Vesemir the witcher were given to the Old Witcher in the series.
- In the books, Geralt was never treated as an outcast by other witchers, while he is in the series.
- In the books, there are no female witchers, while a school of female witchers exists in the series.
- In the books, Geralt first met Ciri in the Brokilon forest, not in the Melitele temple in Ellander, as in the series, although she does spend some time in the temple in Blood of Elves.
- Falwick's role was greatly expanded in order to make him a worthy nemesis for Geralt in the series.
- In the books, The Order of the White Rose was not as prominently present as in the series and had no ties to Nilfgaard nor Renfri.
- In the books, Nenneke and Iola didn't die.
The movie was released on DVD (including an international version with English subtitles). The series was never released on DVD and there are no known plans to release it. It has been unofficially released with English subtitles on the Internet.
- This number is based on converting Polish currency to US dollars, then converting this amount to 2001 (the year the movie came out) for inflation.