The quest is started by reading Monstrum, or a Portrayal of Witchers. Volume 2, which can be found at the base of the tower where Yennefer resides while at Kaer Morhen. Search the room around the base of the stairwell to find it.
The mine mentioned in the note is the Iron Mine, which is southeast of Kaer Morhen. Enter the mine and head through the tunnel until you reach an open space, where you be attacked by an Earth Elemental. After defeating the elemental, look around the cavern for pedestal. Place the tome on the pedestal and another tunnel will open.
Head down the next tunnel and you will reach a room with the forge. Interact with the bellows, and a voice from the smoldering ashes will warn you to leave. Tell the voice that you want to look around, and an Ifrit will rise from the forge and attack you. The fight with the Ifrit can be tricky; the Ifrit's fire provides protection against melee attacks; just being near the Ifrit will cause you to suffer fire damage. Hit the Ifrit with Aard, which will knock out its flames. Once its flames are out, fighting is essentially the same as fighting an earth elemental.
Once you defeat the Ifrit, go back to the forge and use the Eye of Nehaleni to dispel the illusion to reveal a small room with three chests. Dispelling the illusion will complete the quest. The chests contain various pieces of armor, including a suit of Mastercrafted Wolven armor.
- While poking around in the forgotten recesses of Kaer Morhen, Geralt happened across an illusory wall. He removed the illusion and behind it found a copy of the tome "Monstrum, or a Portrayal of Witchers. Volume 2" This tract had caused him no end of trouble and he would have tossed it onto the fire at once - if not for the intriguing handwritten note on the first page...
- Geralt followed the directions found in the tome's notes and arrived at an old iron mine. After dispatching an earth elemental guardian, he found the tome could be used as a sort of key opening a passageway leading to an old forge. To his great surprise, this forge began speaking to him. Though some might suspect the witcher had merely breathed a bit too much of the musty mine air, he claimed an ifrit, a fire elemental of some kind, had been used ages ago by a mage who created special equipment for the Wolf School witchers. This elemental remained vigilant all these years after the mage's death and thus Geralt had to defeat it in order to get at the secret stash of high-quality gear hidden behind the forge.
- Read the copy of the tome
- Go to the mine near Kaer Morhen
- Search the mine using your Witcher Senses
- Kill the earth elemental
- Put the tome on the pedestal
- Search the mysterious chamber using your Witcher Senses
- Kill the ifrit
- Remove the illusion
- Killing the Earth Elemental before acquiring the tome will show the quest update, but it will not be on the player's quest list. Odd effects like several stacked piles of wolf loot appearing by the false cave wall have been noted, but this bug doesn't prevent quest completion and the elemental stays dead even after starting the quest properly.
- ↑ While the objective calls it an ifrit, this is incorrect as in game, it's actually a fire elemental.