Despite it being a treasure hunt, this is one of the toughest opponents one must face in the base game, guarded over by a high leveled archgriffin.
This archgriffin is no joke: it's strongly recommended you be around the same level or higher as, in the base game, it can be very hard to kill it before it kills you.
Once the archgriffin is dead, loot the body in the nest for the notes and a key, then head north towards the other summit to find a few more bodies around the treasure chest. Loot it to complete the quest.
Journal entry Edit
- While traveling through Skellige Geralt found the body of a warrior who had been torn apart by some monster. The poor fellow had been carrying a particularly intriguing document when he died.
Just my ploughing luck! I buy myself a horse - turns out to be lame! I take a wench for my wife - turns out she's a nasty bitch. I build a house - not a year goes by and lightning strikes, burns the whole thing down. And the one time, ONE time fortune smiles on me and I return from a raid with some prime loot... A griffin flies down and makes its nest right on the summit of the mountain, right where I hid the treasure! Guess I should be happy it's not a gold fucking dragon, for fuck's sake!
- But so be it. Not the first wind to blow in my eyes. I'll chase it off. Even if I die trying!
- It seems fortune never did smile on the poor fellow who hid his treasure in a griffin's nest. Geralt, however, had much better luck.
- Read the document you found on the body.
- Search the area using your Witcher Senses to find the treasure.