The Witchers' medallion is a silver symbol of the witchers' profession. It is sensitive to magic, vibrating and tugging on its chain when spells are being cast or magical beings, like genies, are present. This magic medallion shaped like a wolf's head is given to every young witcher candidate who has passed the Trial of the Grasses (Trial of Herbs is better translation) . The origin of the first medallions is unknown, though it is assumed they were made in the magic forge at Kaer Morhen. The medallions vibrate in response to magic in all its forms, including curses, charms and spells. They also warn of lurking monsters born of magic or magic experimentation.
- According to Geralt in the short story A Grain of Truth, no monster can touch a witcher's medallion.
- Leo Bonhart boasts a collection of witcher medallions which include a cat, a griffon and a wolf.
- In The Voice of Reason, part 4, Geralt says it is "the Sign of the Wolf's School".
- A keychain in the shape of the wolf's head was part of the packaging for some editions of the original game.
If the medallion is tuned to detect monsters, then it will begin to vibrate whenever a monster is near. When the monster is very close, there will be a red haze around the left side of the screen as well and the medallion will vibrate quite violently.
If the medallion is tuned to detect magic, then it will vibrate in the same manner when in proximity to Places of Power.
The witcher medallion emits an audible sound when in the presence of magic. The medallion can be used when energized, as indicated by a pulsating yellow aura. Using the causes the medallion to highlight items such as herbs, monsters, monster remains and Circles of Power in red, very useful when finding traps or the remains of monsters in the forest. Surrounding the medallion are the player's various level indicators:
- Vitality – indicates the character’s health level. Should it be depleted due to damage taken, Geralt will die.
- Vigor – indicates the amount of the hero’s vigor points. Vigor points are necessary to use signs and blocking enemy blows.
- Toxicity – indicates the level of the hero’s intoxication. A high toxicity won’t allow you to consume additional potions, meaning you will have to wait for the toxicity to fall.