"Village witches sell this brew to women whose husbands patronize local inns too frequently. Witches, lacking mastery of the arcane secrets of alchemy, usually know only one method of creating Wives' Tears."
While not strictly needed, these potions are handy to have for the following quests:
- The waitress at The New Narakort gives Geralt the recipe. She also gives 2 potions of Wives' Tears and the recipe in exchange for red women's gloves or 100 . If you accept the option of helping her by giving the gloves, and then you say that you remembered you don't have any gloves, if you keep chatting her up, she will talk about her grandmother and how she brew a potion for people who drank too much. Keep talking with the waitress until the conversation ends. After that, you will have the Wive's Tears and Devil's Puffball recipe in your glossary.
- One of the lumberjacks at Lumberjacks' glade also provides this recipe along with sodden mead, a red meteorite and a silver ring for 200 (150 if you haggle). He is selling all his possessions to go home at Vizima.
- Yamo Ryeboozer, the boozer at The Hairy Bear (if Geralt has not had a drinking contest with the drunkard at the Outskirts Inn).
- Kalkstein, if you accuse him of being responsible for Berengar's disappearance, and then apologise.
- Albedo dominant Wives' Tears are an exceptionally good potion. Not only does the potion become non-toxic by itself, but it can also be used to lower the toxicity when inteding to drink a highly toxic potion. As when drank when Geralt is not drunk the potion will only apply the Albedo effect without causing any unwanted side effects.
- The waitress only asks for the gloves once. If you don't have them, you must give her the gold instead, or you will not be able to get the two free potions.
- Some merchants will buy Wives' Tears. Price will vary. For example, Kalkstein pays double for a formula with rubedo as its dominant substance, and it is double the price to buy back, (haven't tried other formulations or merchants, so no idea on other price variations).
- The Alchemist in the marketplace in the Trade Quarter will buy Wives' Tears.
- The Murky Waters blacksmith will buy it.