Queendom of Zerrikania is a land with hot climate located in the southeastern part of the continent and connected with other human states by Elskerdeg Pass. Its name is said to derive from a legendary golden dragon, Zerrikanterment.
Geralt: I've heard they have striped horses there.
Letho:So have I. And apparently it's a matriarchy. I mean, been a deep belief of mine always that it's women who should rule the world. Heh.
Women are the ones who take an active part in the life of the land, becoming rulers, priestesses, and teachers. Their men cultivate fields, extract raw materials in mines, deal with orchards and gardens and raise offsprings. It's compulsory neither are they enslaved; this order seems to them to be good and obvious. It has not yet for a Zerrikanian man to be hunter or ruler and only rarely has any been interested in warfare. This has been the order of things for a long time. All Zerrikanians are essentially equal in rights as are all towns.
The people of Zerrikania are sometimes called the "Free Warriors".
Zerrikanians are known to worship dragons and make sacrifices before images of the said creatures. The religion is founded upon a legend of the golden dragon Zerrikanterment and how he created a protective barrier around Zerrikania by burning forests around and thus turning them into deserts and wastelands.
They believe that before the dragons there was no other god, that they are the creators and rulers of the world. The priestesses are in charge of the worship. They explore all religious knowledge, are fluent in writing, and use the heavenly gift, meaning that they use magic drawn from dragons who are the only creatures apart from cats that are known to absorb magical energy.
Zerrikania is not visited in the game, but it is acknowledged as the home for the formulae of bombs, and famous for its alchemists.
- "Zerrikania, home of the venomous Basilisk, has given birth to other equally hideous creatures. Among them are spotted spiders so huge that they trap elephants in their webs and the no-less terrifying tse tse flies. The flies are especially repulsive, laying their eggs in the human body, the resulting larvae maturing within the host's head. The victim's brain serves as sustenance and when the larvae turn into adult flies, they leave the body through the eye sockets, now void of the previously devoured eyes."
- In The Witcher, the descriptions offered suggest that Zerrikania is very much like Africa or Arabia. The people of Zerrikania also resemble those of the Arabian peninsula.
- In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Zerrikania is not visited but several times mentioned. During High Stakes, Carthia van Canten mentions that expensive spices are delivered to Novigrad by various companies trading with Zerrikania. If Geralt doesn't invite Letho to Kaer Morhen at the end of Ghosts of the Past, the latter says that he will flee there. Also, a free DLC called Alternative look for Ciri is actually her armor from Zerrikania.
- Oddly, in Time of Contempt English translation, both demonyms are used instead of sticking to just one of them.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Wiedźmin: Gra Wyobraźni
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- ↑ used in most of the books and games
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Time of Contempt
- ↑ The Witcher: Versus
- ↑ Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
- ↑ Even though Andrzej Sapkowski's alphabet described Zerrikania as being a land lying in the far south, its location was slightly changed later on in The Lady of the Lake which puts it more east.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Baptism of Fire
- ↑ The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine expansion
- ↑ The Lady of the Lake
- ↑ Granica możliwości
- ↑ The Witcher
- ↑ The Tower of the Swallow
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 Sword of Destiny
- ↑ Marcin Momot:"Yes. It's Ciri's Zerrikanian outfit."